Getting ready for the NDIS
How are you feeling about the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)? Are you in a trial site already or yet to join, or even feeling like it’s a long way off and you don’t know much about it?
The national survey conducted by Down Syndrome Australia (DSA) in late 2014 showed that most people were in that last group and that many were keen to know more so they could prepare. The majority of people also said they would like to get information from their local Down syndrome association, and we are very glad to tell you that DSWA is working to make that happen. Our NDIS and Me project (2015-2016 Disability Support Organisations – DSOs – funding from NDIS ) is helping people in WA get ready to get the best from the NDIS so that people in the WA Down syndrome community get the information and support they need.
We are running peer support groups to work with people with Down syndrome and their families to build their capacity to get the best outcomes possible from the NDIS. The goals of the groups include that people will learn how to:
- Exercise choice and control
- Effectively engage with the NDIS
- Effectively engage with mainstream programs, services and activities
- Increase opportunities for independence, self-management and community inclusion
We have set up eleven groups so far, starting with existing groups, and then new groups in the trial site areas and other areas.
- Metro (South Perth) New parents (0-2yr old with Down syndrome)
- Metro (North Perth) Playgroup parents (0-5yr old with Down syndrome)
- Metro (Subiaco) Adults with Down syndrome (18+)
- National Facebook group (people with Down syndrome and their families (Australia-wide)
- NDIS Hills trial site (Midland) families of people with Down syndrome
- NDIS My Way Lower South West trial site (Busselton region) families of people with Down syndrome
- NDIS My Way Cockburn Kwinana trial site (Metro – Cockburn) families of people with Down syndrome
- Regional (Albany) families of people with Down syndrome
- Regional (Bunbury) families of people with Down syndrome
- Regional (Kalgoorlie) families of people with Down syndrome and other ID
- Metro (East Perth) families of people with Down syndrome and other ID
Still to set up another group in early 2016:
- Metro Perth (Perth) families of people with Down syndrome
Local group leaders run the groups according to what group members identify as their information and support needs. Because it won’t be possible to have a group in each area, the national NDIS and Me Facebook group will mean that you can join wherever you live. This is a closed group for people with Down syndrome and their families living anywhere in Australia (as only the NSW, Victoria and WA associations were funded for the project). It will be used as a discussion forum for people who are in the NDIS and for those yet to join, as an NDIS related information channel and for letting you know about DSO groups and events. We are also working, with DSNSW and DSV, on some resources for different age groups to help with planning for the NDIS. In WA, DSO groups are also being set up by Developmental Disability WA and People with Disabilities WA, so these may be an option.
For more information about any of these groups please contact Julie (Project Manager) on 08 9368 4002 or email@example.com
Local support group updates and meetings
Updates and news about local support groups, support group meetings and information which might be of help will be posted here. You will also find links to useful resources and websites.
Information and resources
A great source of information regarding the NDIS is the Disability Loop website. Click on the link to visit Disability Loop: http://www.disabilityloop.org.au/
A great user-friendly website, especially for planning and resources is the My Choice Matters website. Click on the link to visit My Choice Matters: